With iOS 8 law enforcement can now control your phone and prevent you from taking photos, videos and recordings of officers when they are near. The apps will be disabled within a certain radius. Capturing any police brutality is now prohibited.
Apple employee who demands to remain anonymous
Sept. 17, 2014
This better be a fucking joke/rumor.
Apple holds a patent which mentions that its technology could have applications for law enforcement and government security. For example, the patent description notes that covert ‘police or government operations may require complete ‘blackout’ conditions’.
This little tidbit sold me on the Galaxy over the iPhone for my next phone since I’m due for an upgrade.
If true, this is horrifying.
Whats been happening in Scotland for those who don’t know
Scotland has been building up to voting on whether they should become Independent from the United Kingdom since 2012, the Idea’s been in the works since the ’50s. Yes voters want to be independent, No voters want to stay in the UK.
The parties backing Yes are the snp, the greens and the socialists, the parties backing No (also known as better together or no thanks) are the tories, labour, lib dems aka the big 3 of shittery
reasons scotland would want independence
- our votes literally don’t count seriously like in a mentaphor you guys would understand it would be as though our entire country voted democrat but the republicans still got into government because the uk is heavily imbalanced
- literally the population of the whole of scotland = the population of london.
- don’t want to be a part of illegal wars
- the maj. of scotland has a socialist sentiment so you could argue we don’t want to be associated w the capitalist uk
- england has been storing their nuclear weapons here for years, making us a target for attack, because they dont care about scottish lives
- basically used scotland as lab rats for taxes and shitty policies so england didnt suffer
- we have free tuition which the english govt want to take away
- we have free healthcare but westminster wants to privatise it which will badly affect scotland as the poorest nation
during the run up to the independence referendum, (referred to as #indyref for shorthand, &please use the indyref tag to talk abt these issues) the yes campaign released hugely detailed plans for an Independent Scotland, the no side produced nothing but scaremongering and outright lies about mysterious ‘new powers’ scotland would get if we stayed in the uk.
There were huge debates which took ages and i cba hashing out again but basically Yes had a more vocal support.
on the 18th sept we all voted and last night/this morning the results came in as an overwhelming result for No. this is bad as it means scotland is stuck in the racist, imperialist uk which supports illegal wars and looks like it’s going to be run by fascists by the next general election. here’s what happened in the horus following this morning;s announcement
- alex salmond, 1st minister & supporter of independence, resigns
- 'new powers' vanishing into thin air as ed miliband says he won;t sign off of them
- evidence of rigged votes in favour of the no side
- no voters who won the referendum rioting in glasgow, burn the scottish flag
- live feed to glasgow tho it looks quiet in george square atm, violence has taken to the streets
- more on ggow
i don’t know much more yet because this is the first day since the vote + i had no sleep after watching the results till 7am so i’ll be periodically reblogging more stuff as it unfolds. followers in west lothian and glasgow keep safe and maybe hide or obscure your yes flags/stickers to keep yourself safe
basically a lot of uncertainty, people have been literally stabbed and businesses burned down. keep an eye on the indyref and scotland tags + my blog if you want to know the latest. scotland’s time zone is UTC+0.
I want to write an alternative version of Romeo and Juliet where instead of being a little ponce and trying to work things out for himself, Romeo asks his smarter friends what to do about the whole thing and Benvolio and Mercutio come up with the world’s greatest plan:
Marriage of convenience between Juliet and Mercutio.
Think about it.
Juliet’s parents want her to marry into the Prince’s family. Mercutio is a good compromise between no marriage and Paris.
Mercutio probably won’t get his inheritance if he keeps being HELLA FUCKING GAY ALL OVER THE PLACE so a beard is only a benefit to him.
They would probably get along great rolling their eyes at how adorably stupid Romeo is.
Romeo and Benvolio could get a “bachelor pad” right next to Juliet and Mercutio’s house. Every night, Romeo and Mercutio high five as they hop the fence to go bang their one true love.
The second half of the play is just all of them trying to keep up the charade and being “THIS CLOSE” to getting caught all the time. But everything ends nicely because true love conquers all.
Everybody wins. Nobody dies.
Here are some wonderful facts about Sea World’s orcas!
- The average lifespan of wild orcas ranges from 30-50 years, although some females can easily make it past 80 (a wild orca named J2 or ‘Granny’ is 103 this year!). The lifespan of a Sea World orca is around 25 years, the median age being 9. But at least they put on a good show!
- Don’t worry, collapsed dorsal fins are a common condition, although in the wild only sick or injured orcas have collapsed dorsal fins. All of Sea World’s males and some females have it, it makes them look unique!
- The size of Sea World’s tanks compared to an orca is about the same as a human to a bathtub. Lot’s of room to stretch and move!
- Wild orcas swim 100+ miles a day, they would have to swim around their tank 1,400+ times a day to achieve that. But that seems like a lot of work, and you may see the animals hanging out near the surface of the water or on the bottoms of their tanks for hours. That’s a lot more relaxing than swimming all those miles!
- Sea World gives their orcas a Valium-like drug to stop the whales from acting aggressively towards each other and to numb their minds from their vastly uninteresting concrete tanks. Buying a ticket to Sea World is an excellent way to help them pay for these drugs that they pump their animals full with!
- Many captive orcas show abnormal behaviors like head bobbing, chewing on concrete, and self mutilation by banging their heads into the side of the tank. Obviously just temper-tantrums! Silly things.
- In the wild, there has been only one orca attack. Bad orca! While in captivity, there have been over 100 attacks and 4 deaths. These animals just need more training, it couldn’t possibly be related to their confinement!
- Food is used as reinforcement for tricks. Do a trick, get your dinner. Don’t want to do a trick? I guess you don’t eat tonight you stubborn thing!
See? Sea World isn’t as bad as people make it out to be! Oh, one more fact: for every $1,000,000 Sea World makes, about $600 goes into conservation efforts (about $0.5 a ticket). I’m so glad they care about conservation of the ocean! Amazing work!
If you haven’t realized it yet, this post is 100% sarcastic. It should be obvious, but not everyone understands sarcasm…
Please don’t let this die
A reservoir of water three times the volume of all the oceans has been discovered deep beneath the Earth’s surface. The finding could help explain where Earth’s seas came from.
The water is hidden inside a blue rock that lies 700 kilometres underground in the mantle, the layer of hot rock between Earth’s surface and its core.
Some geologists think water arrived in comets as they struck planets, but the new discovery supports an alternative idea that the ocean oozed out of Earth’s interior layer.
OH MY GODDDDDDD -NERDS OUT-
That’s where the lizard people live
WHAT THE FUCK
I just wanna point something out.
You know how you always see those pictures of the strange types of fish that live in the deep, deep sea?
like this one
or this one
and this one
If any and if possible imagine what the fish look like in the DEEP, DEEP sea.
I’m smelling a million dollar creepy story.
Looks like we found Cthulu. Goddamn humankind, what hell with be wrought on us.
That sounds cool. BUT HOW DOES IT WORK?
(Helicarrier Hulk wakes up, no control, attacks everyone. New York Hulk is good guy buddy only hurt bad guy. Wait! OK! Loki was harshing the vibe on the helicarrier. No, wait further, Loki was just as there in New York. In fact, quite close to Mr. Grabby Hulk.)
I am continually drawn to this dumb film by the interaction between Downey and Ruffalo. I am continually put off by this dumb film by how dumb it is.
Wow, look at this! It’s 2014, and people are still saying things like this! Amazing!!! :D Here, let me explain to you why, and how:
First of all, why do people keep forgetting that The Incredible Hulk happened?? In that film it was shown that Bruce can actually control the Hulk when he deliberately hulks out.
Please notice that Bruce hulked out on the helicarrier because something blew up and he was thrown so hard he fell one floor down through the window. It was obvious that Bruce was hurt and in danger.
Hulk exists to protect Bruce, Bruce was in danger, you do the math.
Not to mention that Bruce was understandably angry at Natasha and Fury because he felt like they’d lied to him. (Therefore, causing Hulk to went after Natasha).
Manhattan Hulk showed up because Bruce ‘asked’ him to. Because he fucking did it on purpose. The Hulk is the physical manifestation of Bruce’s emotions — all his anger, frustration, empathy, sadness, disappointment, sympathy, love, hate, everything. That’s why Hulk knew which are the bad ones and which are the good ones, that’s why he saved Tony from falling off the sky, that’s why he listened to Steve’s orders. Hulk isn’t just some mindless beast who has no feelings whatsoever. He recognised and saved Betty in the midst of his rampage in TIH, looked hesitant when he saw the fear in Natasha’s eyes (it was brief but it was there), punched Thor as a payback, etc. Hulk is not that simple.
Bottom line is, that Bruce can control the Hulk to some degree when he has the option or actually gets to choose, and that’s not what happened on the helicarrier.
So, yea, that’s how.
In this post the uneducated are taught that The Hulk isn’t a mindless monster born simply out of rage.
amazing that there are living humans out there who have chosen to label other groups of people “justice warriors” and align themselves as directly opposed to them. opposed to justice. look in the mirror. tell yourself “i hate justice”. do you feel like a batman villain yet.
I think one of the reasons the Harry Potter Epilogue was so poorly received was because the audience was primarily made up of the Millennial generation.
We’ve walked with Harry, Ron and Hermione, through a world that we thought was great but slowly revealed itself to be the opposite. We unpeeled the layers of corruption within the government, we saw cruelty against minorities grow in the past decades, and had media attack us and had teachers tell us that we ‘must not tell lies’. We got angry and frustrated and, like Harry, Ron and Hermione, had to think of a way to fight back. And them winning? That would have been enough to give us hope and leave us satisfied.
But instead. There was skip scene. And suddenly they were all over 30 and happy with their 2.5 children.
And the Millennials were left flailing in the dust.
Because while we recognised and empathised with everything up to that point. But seeing the Golden Trio financially stable and content and married? That was not something our generation could recognise. Because we have no idea if we’re ever going to be able to reach that stage. Not with the world we’re living in right now.
Having Harry, Ron and Hermione stare off into the distance after the battle and wonder about what the future might be would have stuck with us. Hell, have them move into a shitty flat together and try and sort out their lives would have. Have them with screaming nightmares and failed relationships and trying to get jobs in a society that’s falling apart would have. Have them still trying to fix things in that society would have. Because we known Voldemort was just a symptom of the disease of prejudice the Wizarding World.
But don’t push us off with an ‘all was well’. In a world about magic, JK Rowling finally broke our suspension of disbelief by having them all hit middle-class and middle-age contentment and expecting a fanbase of teenagers to accept it.
Also. Since when was ‘don’t worry kids, you’re going to turn out just like your parents’ ever a happy ending? Does our generation even recognise marriage and money and jobs as the fulfillment of life anymore? Does our generation even recognise the Epilogue’s Golden Trio anymore?
"Tee gradu, valmistu, hanki työ, hanki lapsia, ota asuntolaina—"
alice-in-the-valley replied to your post “i just realised i’m a member of three different unions”
Unions or associations? I’m a member of three associations in my field :3
unions. trade/labour unions to be specific. the sort that negotiate salary, working conditions and stuff with the workplace (and also the sort that go on strike if the workplace is not budging or if it’s doing crappy shit and the negotiations fall apart…).
the ones i’m member of are:
SUL (studenteransattes landsforbund) - this is a union for students in jobs, and is also the union my workplace has an agreement with, so this is the union that has negotiated my awesome salary. (not all studentjobs have contracts with SUL, some have contracts with HK which is a union for secretaries, to put it in general terms. in my department, only my position (student counsellor/guide) is being negotiated by SUL, other student positions in the department are negotiated by HK. the distinction is between ‘administrative work’ (HK) and ‘a job where the employee has received a significant amount of education and training to be able to perform the job’ (SUL))
DM (dansk magisterforening) - this is a union for academics. anyone with a bachelor degree or above, basically. unicph also has an agreement with this union, so if i were to get a phd at my uni, my salary would be based on a contract with DM (and because i’ve been here some years already, i’d also have a higher salary than phd students who have not had a job at the university*. same if i get any other type of academic job position at unicph). almost all academic job positions, be it in a public workplace or a private company, are covered by a contract with this union. I’m also a member of DM’s unemployment fund (i can find no better translation for this), MA (magisternes a-kasse), which gives you unemployment benefits if you’re without a job, helps you get back into a job, etc.
KS (kommunikation & sprog) - this is a union for everybody whose field is in communication or (a) language(s). and since i’m studying finnish, i decided to join this one as well. KS also has an unemployment fund but i think the rules are you can only be a member of one unemployment fund. ultimately i think MA is the better deal, and also i’ve been a member of MA for longer than i’ve even been a member of KS. there’s a rule that says if you as a student have been a member of an unemployment fund for a year before graduation, then you can get unemployment benefits right after graduation, instead of being quarantined (and penniless) for a month.
through all three unions you can get discounts on various types of insurances. KS has the best insurances for the lowest prices, so i’m insured through them rather than the two others (only home insurance and probably i should get an accident insurance as well just to be on the safe side - this country has free healthcare so that’s not what i’m worried about, but say if i get run over by a car and lose a leg, my insurance pays me a fee to ‘compensate the loss of a limb’. that sort of thing.). i’ll probably sign up for a salary insurance once i get a job after graduating, because a salary insurance means that i’m basically insured against getting fired - if i lose my job, the salary insurance doesn’t keep me in the job, but it does so that i get paid up to 80% of my monthly salary every month (including unemployment benefits). i’d get unemployment benefits no matter what, but the salary insurance gives me more money on top of that. so say i have job with a monthly salary of ~32k (this is the average starting salary for an academic with a master’s degree), and i lose the job. the unemployment benefits are ~15k/month, which is (from my current poor student point of view) still really awesome, the salary insurance gets me an additional ~10k/month on top of the unemployment benefits, so in total ~25k/month - which, if my math is correct, is 80% of the 32k monthly salary.
(i should mention that any public workplace - such as the university, because it’s state owned, are required by law to have agreements/contracts with unions for every level/group of employments. private workplaces, such as private businesses, aren’t, but most do anyway, because very, very few people want to work in a place that doesn’t have a contract with a union.)
what most unions also do is give talks and seminars and workshops and courses relevant to your field, for a very low price or for free. you get legal help for free. you get counselling for free. because i’m a member of both DM and MA, i can have a counsellor from there assist me with building my CV, i can get coaching in job searching for free, and all sorts of other things. all unions also have job ads and databases - it’s not a rule, but it’s considered good manners to advertise an academic job through DM or other academic-level unions in specific fields, such as KS, especially if you as the employer are a member of that specific union.
* the phd system in denmark is structured differently than most places. the short explanation is that when you apply for a phd, you apply for three things at once: 1) enrolment in the phd school 2) a stipend to cover the tuition fee (150k) of the phd school and 3) a job as a phd student. then, during the three year contract, you do your phd project and do your 30ECTS of phd-level courses, but you are also required to (through the job part) to teach one course (15ECTS) at some point, and supervise 1-2 master theses. now the employment and the enrolment and stipend don’t go hand in hand, so if you get the enrolment and stipend, you don’t necessarily get the job. so says the law. however, in real life, it’s usually the case that the applicant gets all three.
favorite personality traits of steve rogers:
- don’t tell me what to do
- fuck your rules
- no seriously, your rules are pointless and i’m ignoring them
- fuck your bullshit
- double dog dare me
- lets fucking jump off this building!!!!!
- i’m annoyed at everything you choose to be but recognize you need help and love
- ~*sarcastic compliment*~
- ~*barely concealed dry insult*~
- the best tactical mind in the universe, lets plan this shit
- i love my country that’s why i’m forever critical of it and mindful of the past and concerned for the future
- loyalty and love above reason
steve rogers personality traits in fandom:
- what does a microwave do idgi
- gay people lol amirite
- sure i’ll do whatever you say
- math??????????????? science??????????
- no, i would not like to participate in shenanigans
- america fuck yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!